Story behind My Name

Tracy Lesieli Kilinganoa O Loto Haangana (Ahokava) White

Wow I know thats a bit of a mouthful. I haven't always had this name. My first name when I was Tracy Lesley Ahokava. My mum choose this name at first because I think she thought this was the closest to Lesieli. I was suppose to be named after my grandmother my dads mother Lesieli. But being in NZ my mum used the palangi version of Lesieli and thought it was Lesley. The actualy translation of Lesieli to english is Rachel but my mum didn't know that hahah So when I was about 11-12 I can't remember exactly I just know it was after the death of my grandmother she wanted to preserve her memory so she wanted me to have the exact name of my grandmother. We went and got it changed officially to this long name. I have still yet to do more research into my name but I will tell you what I have been told so far.

Tracy was because my mum loved a singer on a soap she watched called days of our lives. She loved that she was musical and talented so she wanted me to have those attributes. I think also being in NZ she wanted me to have a palangi name so that's why she put Tracy on me first.

Lesieli Kilinganoa O Loto Haangana: This name from what I have been told is the orgins of where my family is from. They are from a little island called Haano Haapai in Tongatapu. I have not been there but I hope to someday. So essentially my name tells me of my roots where my ancestors are from. I have loved this because from everyone migrating to different parts of Tonga and now Internationally my name reminds me and takes me back to where I came from. Its a nice reminder for me and hopefully am able to learn more about this place and where my family lived in the future.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Family History Endevours